For those who loved Roger Moore



For those who loved Roger Moore, here is a lovely story from Twitter.
(Thanks to my dear friend, Madhu Mansingh for this).

"As a seven year old, circa 1983, in the days before First Class Lounges at airports, I was with my Granddad at Nice Airport & saw Roger Moore sitting at the departure gate, reading a newspaper. I told my Granddad I'd just seen 'James Bond' & asked if we could go over, so I could get his autograph. My Grandad had no idea who James Bond or Roger Moore were, so we walked over & he popped me in front of Roger Moore, with the words, "My grandson says you're famous. Can you sign this?" As charming as you'd expect, Roger asked my name & duly signed the back of my plane ticket, a fulsome note full of best wishes. I was ecstatic, but as we headed back to our seats, I glanced down at the signature. It was hard to decipher it, but it definitely didn't say 'James Bond'. My Grandad looked at it, half figured out it said, 'Roger Moore' - I had absolutely no idea who that was, and my hearts sank. I told my Grandad he'd signed it wrong, that he'd put someone else's name - so my Grandad headed back to Roger Moore, holding the ticket which he'd only just signed. I remember staying by our seats and my Grandad saying, "He says you've signed the wrong name. He says your name is James Bond." Roger Moore's face crinkled up with realisation & he beckoned me over. When I was by his knee, he leant over, looked from side to side, raised an eyebrow & in a hushed voice said to me, "I have to sign my name as 'Roger Moore' because otherwise...Blofeld might find out I was here." He asked me not to tell anyone that I'd just seen James Bond & he thanked me for keeping his secret. I went back to our seats, my nerves absolutely jangling with delight. My Grandad asked me if he'd signed 'James Bond.' No, I said. I'd got it wrong. I was working with James Bond now.
Many, many years later, I was working as a scriptwriter on a recording that involved UNICEF, & Roger Moore was doing a piece to camera as an ambassador. He was completely lovely & while the cameramen were setting up, I told him in passing, the story of when I met him at the Nice Airport. He was happy to hear it & he had a chuckle & said "Well, I don't remember, but I'm glad you got to meet James Bond." So that was lovely & then he did something so brilliant. After the filming, he walked past me in the corridor, heading out to his car - but as he got level, he paused, looked both ways, raised an eyebrow & in a hushed voice said, "Of course I remember our meeting in Nice. But I didn't say anything in there, because those cameramen - any one of them could be working for Blofeld."
I was as delighted at 30 as I had been at 7. What a man. What a tremendous man."


Super piece, wasn't it?
I bet you enjoyed reading it as much as I did?
Cheers...
:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Navy Call List - Military Phonetic Alphabet

Male Machoism??? Crazy Crap

8 Indian spices that prevent cancer